Re: Bad Armour Headers

2006-01-06 17:26:29

On 5 Jan 2006, at 6:28 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:

draft 15 says:

" The format of an Armor Header is that of a key-value pair. A colon
    (':' 0x38) and a single space (0x20) separate the key and value.
    OpenPGP should consider improperly formatted Armor Headers to be
    corruption of the ASCII Armor. "

However, I see improperly formatted headers because of word wrapping.
There doesn't appear to be a way to wrap a long line, so I must reject
these as badly formatted (not that other implementations do, it seems).

This seems less than optimal.

I'm going to weasel here, as well as lawyer. It says "should." It even says it in lowercase, not SHOULD. That means that as long as you understand the ramifications of what you're doing (like the case Werner brings up), you can do what you want.

I've always thought it would be useful to have some software that was a wrapper around core OpenPGP things that would verify a signature with some heuristics that could undo obvious breakage like wrapping bizarreness, formatting braindamage like quoted-printable on printable characters, and so on.

        Jon