Re: Closing the openpgp working group

2008-03-14 07:47:10

Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:26:32PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
* David Crick:

 How much enthusiasm is there for this?  Enough to generate
 some consensus?  Is there a business case for a redesign?
"doesn't use SHA1" sounds like a good V5 business case....
Yes, some of us do check-list based security, and not having to rely on
SHA-1 is helpful in this area.

And while we are at it, I would suggest to express V5 fingerprints (as well
as key IDs) either in octal or in decimal. This is not a cryptography issue
(*), but a usability issue on (typically mobile) devices with numeric-only
keypads. As an added benefit, it would make the keyID ~ telephone number
metaphor more sustainable.

For such a decision, OpenPGP could earn the ethernal gratitude of the entire
telecom industry.

I cautiously agree with this.

The old idea of hex and base64 was about saving bits and aligning with the soul of the computer. Those ideas are anachronisms with modern capacities, and with modern users.

(Also, in both SSH and PGP, we have seen difficulties with key identification ... with different varieties of expression being incompatible. This failure has slowed down and probably killed the ability to check public keys easily, a major tenet of opportunistic cryptography.)

So it would be nice to create one unified way. Something like, all key Ids are expressed as parts of ordinary base-10 numbers of the formal SHA-512 hash of the key. The key Id is always read from the left side of the full hash. If you want more discrimination you read off more digits. The size of the number tells you the discrimination.

("something like" being a thought experiment, not a serious suggestion to start coding ;)

iang