Re: Non-hex key IDs

2008-03-14 12:44:46

David Shaw wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:02:56PM +0100, Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
And while we are at it, I would suggest to express V5 fingerprints (as well
as key IDs) either in octal or in decimal. This is not a cryptography issue
(*), but a usability issue on (typically mobile) devices with numeric-only
keypads. As an added benefit, it would make the keyID ~ telephone number
metaphor more sustainable.

It would also be interesting to see if someone (the phone companies?) has done
a study on how many digits people can easily remember.

Miller, G. A. (1956). The magical number seven, plus or minus two: Some limits
on our capacity for processing information. Psychological Review, 63, 81-97.
http://www.musanim.com/miller1956/

7 +/- 2

There's a Wikipedia discussion of it at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two