[openpgp] Non-SHA-1 fingerprints in signatures [was: Proposal for a separable ring signature scheme...]

2014-03-13 20:28:37
On 03/13/2014 06:02 PM, Jon Callas wrote:
My suggestion is that you write up an I-D, and push it.

My quick read looks like this is a useful thing, and it would be nice to have.
Just as Andrey pushed an ECC draft and there have been others, it'd be a great
way to go.

As DKG noted, we have a constant collision, but that's not a big deal. That's
why we have IANA.

        Jon

Thanks for your comments. I plan to write up and submit an I-D if no one points out egregious problems with the current proposal.

In past threads, there were discussions about supporting non-SHA-1 fingerprints [1] and including full issuer fingerprints in signatures [2]. You forwarded to this list a proposal for a new fingerprint [3]. Did anything concrete come out of that proposal or other discussions?

In my proposal, I am using key IDs (i.e., the rightmost 8 octets of SHA-1 fingerprints) in a new signature subpacket, but I would like to switch to non-SHA-1 fingerprints if there is a standard or consensus about how they should be formatted. This is an opportune time to introduce such fingerprints since backward compatibility is not a relevant consideration.

Comments on this are welcome from everyone.

Vincent

[1]: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/msg00253.html
[2]: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/msg00405.html
[3]: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/msg00259.html