Re: [openpgp] Another candidate pgp wg item: Media type

2015-04-15 01:41:45
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 23:43, dominik(_at_)dominikschuermann(_dot_)de said:

So I would propose (following Tim Bray): pgp-message as a new MIME
type for data-only.

To be used for binary OpenPGP data so that standard MIME encoding can be
used?  Not distinguishing between signed and encrypted data is okay
because that avoid conflicts between the MIME type and the actual
OpenPGP message type.

What about keys?  Should they also be allowed in pgp-message?  I tend to
say no.  However

  7.  Distribution of OpenPGP public keys

   Required parameters: none
   Optional parameters: none

   A MIME body part of the content type "application/pgp-keys" contains
   ASCII-armored transferable Public Key Packets as defined in [1],
   section 10.1.

which is unfortunate because it requires armored data and thus the
standard MIME encoding can't be used.

Add an "application/pgp-keydata" ?

Along with the removal of the micalg parameter this could be part of
3156bis or another RFC to extend 3156.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner