Re: [openpgp] rfc3880bis - hard expiration time (was: details of 4880bis work)

2015-04-21 01:51:24

On Apr 20, 2015, at 11:04 AM, Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 02:39, calestyo(_at_)scientia(_dot_)net said:

That's why I think, that creation and expiration times should be
immutable once the key has been created; at least not without
invalidating all signatures (i.e. those from other users).

A hard expiration time vor a v5 key format was proposed by Florian
Weimer many years ago.  IIRC, we even had consent that this should be
done by putting it into a v5 key packet.

I wouldn't go quite that far as "consent" if by that you mean "consensus."
There are many things that got punted into the future rather than argue now.

Personally, I think that the present way things are done is syntactically fine.
Semantically, there are many bogosities. You can time-limit your signature on a
key, but no one ever does. There are lots of reasons for that, I think, none of
them technical. They all are social.

        Jon