Re: [openpgp] details of 4880bis work

2015-04-16 04:53:32

Peter,

On 16/04/15 03:36, Peter Gutmann wrote:
It went the other way as well.  When I proposed in PKIX allowing users to
manage their own certificates rather than having to go to a CA to get them
issued and replaced:

https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/autonomous.txt

the response from the PKIX chair was "we're not going to turn X.509 into
PGP", and that was the end of it.

The response to a proposal to replace the totally nonfunctional CRL blacklist
approach used by X.509 with a whitelist mechanism was even worse, amounting
to near-hysteria in some cases when I tried to push the issue (I've got some
of the emails saved somewhere, some of them came just short of saying "burn
the heretic!").

I don't see how that's really relevant or constructive for the
discussion here. Re-visiting [x509|pgp|whatever]-bashing that may
have been done in the past isn't interesting for me anyway unless
there's some lesson to be learned and I don't see anything like
that above. There are other lists where we can all vent and that
are better venues for such.

S.