Re: [openpgp] 4880bis: Update S2K

2015-04-27 17:01:05

On Apr 25, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Peter Gutmann
<pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz> wrote:

Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> writes:

I would love to see PBKDF2 in there on the list of things acceptable.

So all that a future PGP RFC needs to do is
leave a hole to slot in the PHC winner.

Yeah. But we should have PBKDF2, as well -- or perhaps more completely
PBKDF2-HMAC-<algorithm>, since PBKDF2 is a wrapper around any PRF. PBKDF2 is
the devil you know. It behaves in completely reasonable, completely understood
ways. And it doesn't have the wackiness of the present S2K.

        Jon