Re: [openpgp] Fingerprints

2015-05-05 18:48:13
On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 23:26 +0200, Vincent Breitmoser wrote:
I would like to pick up on this point again: What's wrong with 160 bit
fingerprints?  The bit length seems more than sufficient to cover any
Mooreian doubts, a more relevant issue would be weaknesses in the
hashing algorithm itself,
Hmm but if it can be easily done, is there anything that speaks against?

I think hashes up to 512 bit are still commonly "accepted" (even with
just hex encoding)... and I see no strong reason why we couldn't move to
e.g. RFC 4648 base32.
Actually others do similar things as well (e.g. OpenSSH).

And if it doesn't hurt, I rather go for the stronger, even if it should
never become necessary.

where the status is that in its 20 years not
even a collision has been found for SHA-1.
At least no one publicly known ;-)

Cheers,
Chris