Re: [openpgp] Proposed WG charter

2015-06-01 14:41:06
BTW, why do you and some others use the term MTI?  That term seems
to mean mandatory-to-implement and comes from Jabber, to me this
sounds very much like MUST (cf. RFC-2119).

The term MTI (Mandatory to Implement) is used to differentiate it
from MTU (Mandatory to Use).  I.e., an MTI algorithm is one that
you're guaranteed to be ABLE to use, but there is no requirement that
you actually DO use it.

I think there is also a possible orthogonal Mandatory to Deploy so you
would have:

MTI: Code needs to be written

MTD: Code that was written need to be enabled in deployment

MTU: Code that was written actually need to be used

The distinction between the two latter is when a protocol has several
MTD algorithms, which is the typical case.

/Simon