Re: [openpgp] SHA3 algorithm ids.

2015-08-14 14:09:18
On 13/08/2015 14:32 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> writes:

     So let's not assume that these low-end processors are going away, please?

Well the constraint on processing is easing up due to the move from RSA to ECC.

Sure, it reduces computation time from tens of seconds down to ones of
seconds.  ;)

And for the amount of data going though one of these processors, the choice of
AES or DES doesn't make much of a difference. These things don't have to
communicate very fast.

The thing that gets really uncomfortable is dealing with the amount of memory
available. Quite a few of the embedded chips have even less RAM than the
Commodore PET I started with when 32KB was the large machine.

Oh, yeah.  Some of the environments I work in have like 2-4KB of RAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

"And you try and tell the young people today..."

:)

Yes, these chips are not going away any time soon. The number of chips being
made with 6502 based cores has increased every year since the 80s. But the
problem with the chips isn't just that they are slow.

I'm not seeing 6502, but I am seeing a lot of 8051.

-derek