Re: [openpgp] SHA-x performance (was: SHA3 algorithm ids)

2015-08-11 12:49:08
Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:

Does anyone know a summary of SHA-256 performance on standard CPUs with
dedicated SHA hardware?

This is focusing on entirely the wrong end of the performance scale,
benchmarking anything on an i7 (or whatever) is pretty much irrelevant because
no matter how you implement it (with hardware assist, software-only, handcoded
asm, C, Visual Basic, whatever), it's still going to be way faster than you
ever need.  The only difference will be whether it's 100x faster than required
or 200x faster.

Where it matters is IoT implementations, 180MHz STM32's and the like.  For
example on a Cortex A7 (which is way more powerful than most IoT devices use,
but I happen to have figures at hand for it), SHA2-512 is more than an order
of magnitude slower than SHA2-256.  SHA-3 is too new to have figures
available, but I'd guess it's going to be a lot worse than that.  That's what
you need to benchmark for, systems where speed is actually an issue.

Peter.