Re: [openpgp] SHA3 algorithm ids.

2015-08-11 11:39:42
Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg(_at_)fifthhorseman(_dot_)net> writes:

Is your concern CPU time or bandwidth (network/storage) or something else?

Yes.

If it's CPU time: on some architectures SHA-512 implementations are faster
than SHA-256 implementations (except for digests of very short messages):

A huge number of devices, and in particular ones with less CPU power, are
still 32-bit, and will remain so for a long time, probably more or less
indefinitely.

In addition from the original post it was unclear whether -512 referred to
SHA2 or SHA3 (which is why I qualified my reply as SHA2-256 and SHA3-512),
SHA3 will be ever worse than SHA2-512 in speed terms.

In terms of network/storage, there's the unnecessary use of 64-byte hashes
that I've already mentioned.  For TLS and SSH you really don't need more than
maybe 64 bits (not bytes), and certainly 64 bytes is nothing more than a
pointless waste of space when you're sending lots of small data quantities
back and forth.

Peter.