Re: [openpgp] SHA-x performance

2015-08-11 15:43:53
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 19:48, pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz
said:

asm, C, Visual Basic, whatever), it's still going to be way faster than you
ever need.  The only difference will be whether it's 100x faster than required
or 200x faster.

Depends on what you want to do: To feed a big pipe you will need a
reasonable fast CPU anyway because there are other things to do beside
crypto.  Thus it matters for those applications whether you can you
still use a cheaper CPU.

Where it matters is IoT implementations, 180MHz STM32's and the like.  For
example on a Cortex A7 (which is way more powerful than most IoT devices use,

Right that is a different class but fortunately we can run our protocols
easily there.  I concur that a MUST algorithm in OpenPGP should work
well on small devices.  This is also the reason why one algorithm
_might_ not fit all devices.

bench.cr.yp.to has a lot data points but AFAICS it start with an A8 and
it any case there is too much data for a useful discussion.  Do you have
a suggestion on what CPUs from low to high end to do benchmarks so to
check which SHA variant is suitable?  Although, I assume that SHA-256
will likely be the best over all CPUs, having some concrete data points
may help to convince other folks.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner