Re: [openpgp] SHA-x performance

2015-08-12 18:24:05
On 08/12/2015 05:32 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
Do you have a suggestion on what CPUs from low to high end to do
benchmarks so to check which SHA variant is suitable?

FWIW, here is some fact.

My RSA-2048 private key is on FST-01, which uses STM32F103 @ 72MHz.
This device is used to sign GnuPG source code release.  And it's daily
use to my access to Git repositories by OpenSSH.  With no crypto
accelerator, it takes about 1.4 second to sign.

Yesterday, I created a new key of ed25519/cv25519 and installed on
another FST-01.  It's faster.

If a user can wait for EdDSA computation as long as computation of
RSA-2048, STM32F030 @ 48MHz would be a candidate (no, I haven't tested
yet, just a possibility).

Please note that the firmware (Gnuk) doesn't implement OpenPGP, but
only OpenPGPcard specification.  It only computes with private key.
Since EdDSA requires SHA2-512, we have SHA2-512.

It scales to low end, when/if a user can wait.