Re: [openpgp] AEAD Chunk Size

2019-04-12 08:37:26
 [ Coming back to this late after traveling for a while.  My apologies if I
am re-opening wounds... ]

Marcus Brinkmann
<marcus.brinkmann=40ruhr-uni-bochum(_dot_)de(_at_)dmarc(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>
writes:

The main question here is: What should a conforming application look like?

The current behaviour of GnuPG is that it will process internally (e.g.,
through the decompression and signature verification layer) and output
externally unauthenticated plaintext.  If an AEAD chunk is modified by
an attacker, GnuPG will detect the modification and cancel the
operation, but only at the end of each chunk.  Due to the asynchronous
buffer management in GnuPG, quite often some part of the modified chunk
has then already been processed and output, depending on the particular
state of the buffers, the buffer size and the chunk size.  This
behaviour increases the surface for chosen ciphertext attacks and
possibly adaptive chosen plaintext attacks (if an oracle is exposed).

In my mind, this sounds like the implementation is broken.  If it
releases AEAD plaintext before the end of the AEAD chunk then it is
non-conforming and should be considered broken.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com