Re: [openpgp] AEAD Chunk Size

2019-04-18 12:41:46
No objections from me!
Thanks Bart!
-derek

On Thu, April 18, 2019 1:28 pm, Bart Butler wrote:
Hi all,

Jon and I got on the phone today and discussed the AEAD chunk situation a
little more. The compromise we reached is:

(1) MUST support chunks up to and including 8KiB.
(2) SHOULD NOT emit chunks larger than 8KiB.
(3) SHOULD reject chunks larger than 8KiB.

Jon likes this because it doesn't fully shut the door on experimentation.
I like this because it strengthens the norm and puts the burden of
justification for violating the norm on the person asking for huge chunks
rather than the implementer. I expect (though please correct me if not)
that Derek, Neil, and others working on embedded or otherwise constrained
system will like this because the normative limit is low enough for most
embedded/constrained systems to do streaming when incremental no-release
semantics are desired. And I hope Werner likes this because GnuPG is
already doing 8KiB chunks, so the work involved in changing GnuPG's
implementation should be minimal :)

Does anyone have any objections to or comments regarding this language?

Thanks,

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com