Re: [openpgp] v5 in the crypto-refresh draft

2021-06-07 08:44:40
Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)nohats(_dot_)ca> writes:

We are happy to accept such proposed text, please send it to the list :)

Well, if I write it people may be less happy with the text :-).  OK, how
about, after the paragraph "Note that it is possible for there to be
collisions of Key IDs", add:

-- Snip --

There are no cryptographic issues introduced by this since the fingerprint is
merely a fixed-length opaque value used to identify the variable-length
structured data that makes up a public key.  In particular the move to SHA-256
for V5 fingerprints was made not to address any cryptographic vulnerability
but to avoid the perception that something insecure might be happening due to
the use of SHA-1.

-- Snip --

Peter.