RE: regarding new working groups

2000-11-10 02:54:40
I'm glad that people are talking about these issues; HTTP is
AFAIK unique as
a transport protocol, in that it allows relaxation of semantic
transparency
without explicit permission of the client or server.

I don't immediately see how HTTP permits this by itself; it's the idea
that the network can interpose intermediaries in the HTTP conversation
(whether via interception proxies or via auto-discovery mechanisms
that find intermediaries without  authorization of either the
content provider or the content user) that seems to cause the problems.

at any rate, it needs to be stopped.

I confess that I am now confused as to whether we are talking about
(a) an issue to keep in mind as we define the tasks of the BOFs/WGs, or
(b) a problem and associated technical solution to be discussed in one or
more of those groups, or
(c) a problem and associated political/legal solution

If it's (a), we can all agree that this is a good issue to keep in mind, and
then keep it in mind.

If it's (b), I need a little more explanation of what the proposed technical
approach is because I don't understand it yet.

It it's (c), then I need a little more explanation of the relationship
between what the IETF can do and the political/legal changes required,
because I don't understand that yet.

Thanks,

--Mark