RE: regarding new working groups

2000-11-13 08:30:35
Defining the IETF's role is a tough call. Some folks live with the
Advertising to get service they could not otherwise have...

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 6:06 PM
To: Gary Tomlinson
Cc: Keith Moore; Hilarie Orman; wrec(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu;
ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org;
cdn(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: regarding new working groups

I think there still exists a need for the content distribution & delivery
providers to divulge their vested interests as well (paper is fine).
Traditionally, the CDNs we know today represent the content provider's
interests, while ISP's are likely to represent the consumer's interests.

I beg to differ; the ISPs generally represent their own interests
when they interfere with the communications between a content
provider and the content user.  (e.g. by imposing non-voluntary
caches, adding advertising, changing data formats)

IETF should not sanction such practices.

Keith