RE: Request for Comment: Elapsed-Time as Event in OPES/ICAP

2001-04-02 15:55:20
Another method of doing this would be a rule-writer that could write
individual IP rules for all the users in these buckets:

        1. Time clicks over for next bucket.
        2. Rule-writer writes 1 policy rule for each IP in the bucket that would
cause those requests to be evaluated by proxylet.
        3. Proxylet would remove rule after it had executed the redirection for
that one IP.

        There would be a potential build-up of these rules.  I do not know the
real
world effects of the proliferation of these rules.

Derek

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Hofmann [mailto:hofmann(_at_)bell-labs(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 3:48 PM
To: Yang, Lily L
Cc: 'Derek Maxson, Front Porch'; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Request for Comment: Elapsed-Time as Event in OPES/ICAP

Lily,

If so, then an unconditional rule is applied to fire up a local
proxylet and
all the above logic is wrapped inside that proxylet.

While the idea of putting such "environmental conditions" into a
proxylet is really nice, I'm not sure whether it would be practical.
Would probably depend on the local implementation of/interface to
proxyltes, i.e. on the overhead incurred by calling a local proxylet.
I nthis case we would called the proxylet for each and every incoming
message, which could be quite an overhead.

-Markus