Per(and intra-)session rules

2001-04-03 09:58:01
I believe it will be very useful, if not necessary,  to support rule injection
on a per-session
basis and even during the course of a session.  By "per-session" I mean
allowing the end user the option of specifying rules for his current session -
not
applying a pre-specified rule for every session that the user/his device is
involved in.

Allowing per-session rule injection results in a much more flexible architecture
than
not doing so. In fact, I think it may even be a necessary feature in streaming
media scenarios.
Consider the case of a user wanting to "switch to black and white" during the
course of a movie
because the video quality of the color stream sucks due to congestion in the
data path. It would
be very useful to allow a user to issue a "command"(a rule) to an edge device
near the server to transcode the
content to black and white.

Any thoughts ?

- Jayanth