RE: iCAP Issues at OPES Workshop

2001-05-31 14:05:13
iCAP issues and the path within OPES is an agenda
item for next week.
At 12:57 PM 5/31/2001 -0700, Ian Cooper wrote:
At 12:29 5/31/2001 -0700, Merrick, Jeffrey wrote:
> I hate to have to play this role, but I don't understand the phrase:
> "the not-yet-standardized OPTIONS method."  None of this is standardized
> as yet.  Or did something happen that I missed?

No, the OPTIONS response headers aren't standardized as yet.  But they
probably need to be standardized soon, for issues such as the one Lily
brought up are real and we want to avoid divergent implementations for
such fundamental things.

I'd strongly suggest against using the word "standardize" around iCAP. To my knowledge there's no suggestion on the table to make this an Internet standard at present. (I've only seen suggestions to go Informational or Experimental.)

Michael W. Condry
Director,  Network Edge Technology