Re: iCAP, OPES and the IETF - resend

2001-06-12 01:17:48

Roy,

First, a few factual corrections.

* If you are / were a member of the iCAP forum then you received the first draft in Feb 2000; some *2* months after the release, not 8 as you state. (Though perhaps you are referring to the later publication of the Internet-Draft specifically for the Pittsburgh IETF?)

* The group "pwg" has existed since the iCAP forum was formed and was not formed after the release of the I-D.

* Discussion was never "moved to WREC" - iCAP was never part of the WREC charter.

* For the record, here are the facts I can determine from my mail archives.

- Early Dec 1999 - press release from Akamai, NetApp and others
- Nov-Jan 2000   - editors group expanded - pwg formed
- Early Feb 2000 - first public draft to those registering on the web site
- Early Mar 2000 - decision by tech editors not to submit BoF request at IETF;
                   we were too late and there was some concerns about the
                   benefits of having something at short notice in Australia
                   (since many of those would have gone for WREC which did not
                    meet in Adelaide).

***- Early Mar 2000 - first iCAP I-D? (I can't find the exact date)

- Early May 2000 - BoF at N+I, (Vegas?)
- Mid May 2000   - BoF at Web Caching Workshop in Lisbon
- Late June 2000 - shaky but running code from netapp and a few others
- August 2000    - iCAP on agenda at WREC WG (rather than separate BoF). Note
that iCAP was never part of WREC's charter. iCAP also discussed
                   at Content-Adaption BoF.

...etc.

For the rest, yes, iCAP was originally designed to be HTTP encapsulated over HTTP but implementation showed this to be impractical and unperformant - particularly for large objects where only partial objects needed vectoring (e.g. in virus scanning). So, after a lot of discussion, the decision was made to remove the requirement for HTTP compatibility but retain the header-body syntax a la HTTP (and MIME).

Yes, you are unlikely to see an implementation of the current spec because, as I've said before, it is a superset of all the changes made by all those who've implemented iCAP v0.9 and fixed bugs and inconsistencies along the way. So, it is indeed a documentation of "iCAP-as-implemented" in that it is a record of what people have coded.

That aside, we are planning to release reference code for both the client and the server for iCAP v1.0.

Finally, I agree 100% with your last paragraph (excluding the last sentance, of course) - continuing the publication process is exactly our intention. Where this discussion takes place is still, it seems, moot. There are those that want it within OPES and those that don't. Personally, I don't care. I have proposed that we discuss iCAP development on an iCAP list for the time being, at least until we have a home elsewhere - preferably within an ietf wg.

John