RE: Efficacy of rule specification, processing

2001-06-12 17:03:26

You can flame me if I'm really off-base here :-)

Hopefully, the variables being discussed here are not named/dedicated to
specific conditions or values (examples mentioned earlier: network b/w,
system load/cpu load, # of client connections, ....).

When we talk about introducing state variables that reflect run-time
conditions etc , we also need "limits" (thresholds above/below which rules
trigger different actions than the "normal" ones) to be
defined/stored/updated as systems/services get updated.

Can we leave these in abstract forms and define a "generic" set of variables
and  a pair of "limit" values for each of the variables (assumption: if you
cross the lower or upper limits, there are "abnormal" actions to be taken)?

As I said earlier, if the above doesn't make sense, I'm game to be flamed.

Regards,
- Rama
*******