Re: Efficacy of rule specification, processing

2001-06-13 07:57:29

Markus,

Thank you very much for the response.
It was really useful in clearing up a lot of things.
I will be delighted to provide some streaming
media related examples. I will submit them soon.

Thank you,
Jayanth

Markus Hofmann wrote:

Jayanth,

I would like to restate that the example quoted was ONE illustration of a
bigger concept - that supporting dynamic rule injection will probably be
very important to support if you truly intend to support long running media
rich sessions (which is what most RTP sessions are), in heterogenous
networking/device  environments.

The question is whether OPES will be in the data path of such long
running sessions. I could also imagine that OPES is only in the
control (i.e. the request) path, for example redirecting users to
servers that run the adaptation services. In this case, the OPES
device might not even sit in the data path of the long running
session.

Example: User sends HTTP request for a SMIL file, passing through the
OPES device. When the SMIL file comes back, there are (static) rules
configured in the OPES device that trigger forwarding of the SMIL file
to a callout server (for example, could be done in iCAP Resp Mode).
The callout server re-writes the embedded links (for audio/video
streams) in the SMIL file to point to adaptation servers instead of to
the origin server. Modified SMIL file is delivered to user. User now
requests audio/video streams from the adaptation server (without
necessarily going through the OPES device; or in pass-through mode of
the OPES device). Dynamic adaptation can now be done at the adaptation
server, no need for dynamic rules in the OPES device (because it's
basically off the data path).

Could someone give me an example of the sorts of services you thought OPES
could provide for streaming media (RTP) sessions?

We probably have to add those to the scenario/example document. It
looks like you already have a couple in mind. Would be great if you
could help us in adding those to the draft.

-Markus