RE: ICAP Server Implementation

2001-10-24 11:33:56

Weisong,

OPES needs to have a standard way of adding services, and this in two
different places. One area is to be able to easily add services on top of
servers like ICAP or any other potential ones like BEEP based services. As
an ICAP service provider I would rather write my service only once than
having to make a separate deal and port it to every ICAP server provider.

The other area for standardization is what is called proxylet or service
plug-in. A service plug-in is a proxylet if run locally, a callout service
if run remotely. However the service plug-in interfaces are the same. Andrew
mention one proposal, we have a different one. We're looking to define
language independent intefaces (IDL), one possible binding being Java. We'll
put it on the OPES web site in a couple of weeks as it's a Word document
(for now).

Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Weisong Shi [mailto:weisong(_at_)cs(_dot_)nyu(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 9:45 AM
To: Andrew Walker
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: ICAP Server Implementation

Andrew,

Servlet and ICAP/Proxylet are not always equivalent
technologies. A Servlet
converts a request into a response, ICAP and Proxylet
modifies a request or
modifies a response. They may have filter like behaviour.
You may have access
to both a fully formed request and a fully formed response
at the time you

Thanks for your explain. However, does this mean that ICAP
server can not
benefit from legacy servlet-based services?  How do we write
an ICAP-based
service? Do you have an example service using your proxlet API?

Thanks.

-Weisong