RE: IAB document

2001-12-07 16:32:38

[With apologies for the large distribution... though I wonder whether it would have been better to have addressed IAB directly rather than Sally?]

--On Friday, December 7, 2001 13:41 -0800 Joseph Hui <jhui(_at_)digisle(_dot_)net> wrote:

#   (2.2) IP-layer communications: For an OPES framework standardized in
#   the IETF, the OPES intermediary must be explicitly addressed at the
#   IP layer by the end user.

The above clause in draft-iab-opes-01.txt, taken literally as I
understand it,
constrains that only single-intermediary content processing pipeline
will be
possible under OPES.  E.g. it'll be impossible to do filtering like:

   server | language_translation | virus_scan | client

  (or: server | insert_image | dither_image_for_viewing_device | client)

where the multiple intermediaries run on different IP hosts.

Hrm...

It's hard to image one would have to resort to some unscaleable hacks
like:

  server | language_translation | \
  server | virus_scan | client

in order to work around the constraint.

Q1, to IAB:
   Would the IAB shed some light on the benefits of
   stipulating n=1 (as in an n-intermediary OPES content
   pipeline), such that they outweigh the cost of depriving
   content providers and consumers the advantages that n>=1
   offers, as exemplified in the use cases above?

I'm not sure the intent was really to limit things in this way but I can see the problem (and obviously it would be good to get an official answer). If implementors could argue their case that use of multiple intermediaries had the same overall effect as multiple proxylets on the same intermediary then I think this would sufficiently demonstrate that the recommendation had been addressed.

It's my belief that recommendation 2.2 is really saying "you must not do this transparently by intercepting traffic". Of course, when taken on its own like this 2.2 can be seen to convey more awkward issues.

(As a pet rant I wonder whether potentially problematic issues like this would have been identified and resolved if the document had gone through a Last Call.)

Q2, to IAB & all:
   Can the "explicit addressing at the IP layer by the end user,"
   which I take it for the need of the end user's cognizance of
   the remote IP address in the end_user-intermediary socket
   connection, be critically meaningful for OPES practitioners
   anyway in the face of NAT (which, incidentally, was yet
   another IETF whipping boy)?

I'm not sure I understand your question Joe.