RE: IAB document

2001-12-05 10:36:36

Abbie -

However, it is important to note that we also need feedback from the IAB
(and others)
on the efforts that we have done to consider their requirements.

So this is my (probably imperfect) understanding of how things work:

The IAB consists of 13 people with a wide range of views, and the
total feedback that it gave about OPES, as an entity, was in the
IAB document.  The IAB document is a recommendation to the IESG
about architectural considerations to consider in chartering OPES.
My own understanding is that further decisions about chartering
OPES, or approving documents from OPES, will come through the IESG,
following normal processes.  The IAB document will also serve as
guidelines for review of the documents the OPES working group
produces, again in the hands of the IESG.

The IAB functions rather differently from the IESG.  The responsible
AD from the IESG has some direct responsibility for a working group,
and can speak with authority at a working group meeting.  However,
IAB members at the OPES BOF, or on the mailing list, speak only as
individuals, and not in the name of the IAB.

OPES document writers will need to read and internalize the material
in the IAB considerations document so they are confident in expressing
how their documents address the IAB concerns, and can get on with
their work.  The IAB, and its members, can not be the gating function
on OPES documents.  Certainly, if there are points that are unclear,
or new perspectives developed to address the issues raised in the
IAB considerations document, IAB members as individuals can certainly
discuss the issues -- as would any I-D/RFC editor.

- Sally (with contributions from Leslie as well)