Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-architecture-00

2002-05-21 12:21:50

At 10:55 AM 5/21/02 -0400, Markus Hofmann wrote:
I think the requirement here should be that tracing is feasible *without* using extensions on the application protocol. (Not saying that extensions MAY NOT be used, just not required to get at tracing information.)

If there's no extensions/addition at all, how would we get the trace pointers to the enduser, so that the enduser can retrieve the more detailed information fro mthe OPES boxes?

The short answer is: out of band. In-band would be nice if it could be achieved without protocol extensions.

I presume that the OPES intermediary would be communicating with the endpoint in whose admin domain it is operating, so some local arrangement is not unreasonable. Returning to my earlier example (ISP web cache), the link for tracing information could be provided through a web page that is accessed through a login mechanism similar to that used for retrieving mail via a web browser.

Note, I'm not saying extensions cannot be used, just that obtaining the diagnostics should not depend on the endpoint having implemented such extensions.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK(_at_)NineByNine(_dot_)org>