Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-architecture-00: CDN scenario

2002-05-20 21:54:27

Ian and Oskar,

Some comments on the CDN scenario:

3. Security and Privacy Considerations

It looks like we are looking at one general scenario: there is a data
provider, there is a data consumer and there is an OPES server that
just happened to be in between - and now we are prescribing the
rules for legitimate coexistence.
While this is a valid general scenario I'd suggest to look at
two more:

- CDN scenario: OPES architecture is used to build a content
distribution network and OPES servers in fact constitute an
integral part of data provider. In this case such servers have
an absolute trust of data provider and the end user has no more
right or reason to question/interfere with there functionality
than it has now in relation to the architecture of the
provider's site web servers farm.

Agree, though I'm not sure I see anything that suggests otherwise.
(Apologies if I'm missing something in my jetlag induced haze.)

The architecture document does not exclude the CDN scenario -
check out Section 3.1 (Trust Domains) that talks about delegation
of authority.

The CDN scenario is also covered by the "Surrogate Overlay" section
in the original OPES model draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tomlinson-opes-model-01.txt

4.4 Surrogate Overlays

   A surrogate overlay is a specific type of 'content service
   network', which is delegated the authority to provide 'content
   services' on behalf of, and typically in close co-operation with,
   one or more 'origin servers'. Surrogate overlays can be seen as
   logical extension of 'origin servers'.

Note also that the term "authroritative domain" (instead of
trust domain) was used in the original model draft.

An upcoming OPES scenario document will cover the scenarios of
surrogate overlay (server-centric), delegate overlay (client-centric),
and the enterprise scenario (data providers, data consumers, and all
OPES entities are in the same trust domain) - stay tuned ...

--
Robin Chen  AT&T Labs - Research   chen(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com
Room E219, 180 Park Avenue, Florham Park, NJ 07932-0971