Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-opes-architecture-00

2002-05-21 07:55:50

Graham Klyne wrote:

I guess this boils down to identifying some (broad) requirements on the standardized rule schema. At least to the extent of giving some understanding of how much is expected to be handled by the filtering rules, and how much is left to a callout processor.

I agree, but I thought this would rather be part of the "endpoint authorization and enforcement requirements" document (which is also on our charter) rather than the architecture document.

I thought about this a little more - is it a goal to have multi-vendor interoperability between data dispatchers and callout servers? If so, the role of OCP is clearer.

Absolutely, yes. Maybe this should be stated.

I could imagine that the general OPES tracing simply provides pointers and information to the endpoints on (a) which OPES services had been executed on the message, and (b) how the endpoints could retrieve more information about these services, possibly including an audit. I don't see the current draft would exclude something like that.

As far as it goes, that's fine. So why are protocol extension headers needed?

We somehow need to get these (tracing) pointers to the enduser - and one way of doing this is in-band.

I think the requirement here should be that tracing is feasible *without* using extensions on the application protocol. (Not saying that extensions MAY NOT be used, just not required to get at tracing information.)

If there's no extensions/addition at all, how would we get the trace pointers to the enduser, so that the enduser can retrieve the more detailed information fro mthe OPES boxes?

The first scenario you describe is consistent with my experience of the actual deployment of such software. I think it would be very unfortunate if OPES couldn't handle this common case. However, my reading of the IAB requirements didn't allow for that, so I'm thinking that it at least needs to be drawn out more clearly.

Point taken. We need to see what the concensus of the WG is and than make a clear case for it.