Re: [ OPES architecture] Final Points of Discussion: Tracing

2002-05-23 07:41:52

At 9:58 AM -0400 5/22/02, Abbie Barbir wrote:
Graham and all,

I am providing a summary of the current position and feedback.
This will be points that we try to get agreement on.

1. endpoint-user must be able to access OPES diagnostic
   information using legacy s/w.
2. have no problem with protocol extensions being available to
   facilitate access to the information.
3. not opposed to using In-band information even if it means extensions
4. keeping a log could be quite sufficient
5. having out of band access from one endpoint or the other is a far better
   outcome than having none
6. (From mark baker) No need to standardize on a callout protocol.

Here I propose that we start a new thread where each point is discussed and get solved.

abbie

Unless I've missed something (which is certainly possible), the draft may want to suggest how the OPES architecture will respond to the following IAB consideration:

   (3.1) Notification: The overall OPES framework needs to assist
   content providers in detecting and responding to client-centric
   actions by OPES intermediaries that are deemed inappropriate by the
   content provider.

The response may be that this consideration will be addressed in a requirements document -- for example by requiring the initial request from a client to a content provider to deliver a header flagging the client-centric OPES action to be performed. Although such a header may not have major "architectural" implications, in explaining and understanding an OPES flow it seems appropriate to state that there should be notice to the "other" primary party (i.e., the party not initially requesting the OPES transformation) of the planned OPES transformation or callout PRIOR to the transformation or callout actually happening.

A small and unrelated point about 3.4 of the draft:

3.4 Privacy

   Some data from data consumers is considered "private" or "sensitive",
   and OPES processors must both advise the primary parties of the their
   privacy policy and respect the policies of the primary parties.  The
   privacy information must be conveyed on a per-flow basis.

Especially as peer-to-peer technologies become more widely used, there will likely be times that data providers also have private or sensitive data. I suggest changing "data consumers is" to "data consumers or providers may be."

John

John B. Morris, Jr.
Director, Internet Standards, Technology
   & Policy Project
Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 I Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006