RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft

2003-02-24 08:27:36
hi,

see inside
abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: jfcm [mailto:info(_at_)utel(_dot_)net]
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 4:15 AM
To: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft

On 19:59 21/02/03, Alex Rousskov said:
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, jfcm wrote:
<offtopic>blame your mail agent instead, for not
auto-filling both TO
and

SNIP

You ask two things.

- technical considerations: discussion about SOAP/noSOAP,
   redirecting or not. ICAP.2 etc. One vision is continuity with
   existing solutions, the other is a new vision related to a
   global optimisation..

- applications examples:
   - SMTP/FTP etc. support not HTTP to start with
   - redirects with request of agreement by the user
   - redirects/duplication upon thrid party decision (ex.
write tapping)
    and all the interactions ONES/user/hosts/third parties.
    whicha re not from what I understand part of OPES.
jfc

very good point. The example protocol in the architecture document is HTTP.
So our first scenarios must be based on HTTP.

By the way, it seems to me that the current thinking in the pre-draft-01
work is that the OPES processor is always fwding messages to the callout
server. This may not be the case!!

I would like us to consider this scenario.

1. Gold, silver and copper services provided by a service provider
2. Gold package, looks into user prefernces (stored either locally or thru a
URI or whatever)
3. User trust the OPES processor with his financial/private data, willing to
expose some of the preferences to selected companies.
4. User can log on with multiple devices (wireless, PC)
5. User requires language translation (or location based service), that is
conditional on the access device
6. user is willing to pay for translation based on various criteria and
he/she prefers company X.

Now, company X is not willing to implement OCP (OPES Callout Protocol), but
company X provide the translation as a Web Service.

How would the predraft protocol would be used here. Is the OPES provider out
of luck. Here the customer can be a Multimillion dollar company.

Abbie