RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft

2003-02-21 12:34:31

Hi,
Thanks

abbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 1:23 PM
To: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: OPES protocol, pre-draft

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Abbie Barbir wrote:

Let us be carefull here. So far my main concern with the proposed
protocol is that it looks a lot like ICAP.  The main
scenarioes that
are solved so far are basically packaging (or passing )a request to
the callout server, with all the technicalities.

We need to start thinking about scenarios that involves the user
preferences, that include the choice of obtaining a service
from more
than one source etc..

It is far too early to start even thinking about naming the OPES
callout protocol ICAP xxxx.

I agree with all of the above. The major challenges are still
ahead. Message passing is just one (most
performance-sensitive, but not the most difficult) part of
the protocol.