Re: Draft Agenda for IETF 56

2003-03-11 21:22:26

Alex Rousskov wrote:

If Reinaldo agrees with Andre's recollection of the conference call,
then there seems to be no conflict regarding support for non-TCP
application transport. This mini-thread started when jfc asked whether
OPES transport must be TCP, and I think my initial response remains
valid.

I can fully second Andre's recollection. During a call of the "protocol requirements" sub-team, the author team agreed that

 (a) the callout protocol MUST NOT negotiate the transport protocol
     to be used for callout connections,
 (b) the callout protocol MAY, specify that a certain application
     message protocol (e.g.  HTTP, RTP) requires the use of a certain
     transport protocol (e.g.  TCP, SCTP).

This is fully documented in Section 3.12 of the protocol requirements draft.

Key point is that we do *not* have a transport protocol negotiation mechanism in the OPES protocol. However, we're also *not* restricted to a single transport protocol to be used for all purposes. Point (b) above specifies that the transport protocol to be used for the callout may depend on the application message protocol used between producer and consumer (e.g. HTTP). Note, however, that this is different from chosing the transport protocol for the callout based on the application itself...

General question now is whethr we feel that coupling the transport protocol for the callout to the application message protocol is flexible enough, or whether we need more flexibility?

For example, is it OK to assume that whenever the application message protocol is A, that the transport protocol for the callout is B. Or is there a case to make that for the same message protocol A, we sometimes need to use transport protocol B for the callout, and sometimes transport protocol C (substitute A, B, and C with your favorite protocols :) If so, how is this achieved without protocol negotiation?