RE: OCP Core version head_sid8 available

2003-05-30 08:15:12

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Martin Stecher wrote:

while reading I only found two things:

- Section 3.1: comment for named-parameters says "comma separated"
- Section 8.16: data-need message has no abbreviation

Will fix.

And two questions regarding abbreviations:

- How do you pick upper- and lowercase characters for the
abbreviations? Often it looks like you use lowercase if it is a
second char from the same word, as in DEd for data-end. But this
"rule" does not match for data-pause (DPE), data-paused (DPD) and
data-ack (DAK)

I tried to follow the following algorithm:

        - use the first letter from each word of the full name,
          upper case

        - add semi-arbitrary letters to abbreviations
          that are prefixes of other abbreviations or are
          the same as other abbreviations (e.g., data-pause and
          data-paused)

- And why has data-have a two character abbreviation (DH) but
data-end has three characters (DEd)?

I guess that's a consistency bug. Should we make all names three
characters long? Four? If you have any better algorithm/suggestions,
please let me know. I am not particularly happy with the current
naming scheme. I doubt 2, 3, or 4 characters will matter much, but we
should strive to be consistent.

BTW, I still need to apply your comment that talks about removing full
names from message summaries and leaving only one [short] "name", to
avoid confusion.