Re: Publishing Tracing Draft as WG Document

2003-05-30 08:35:21

Alex Rousskov wrote:

        While I would like to see significant changes to the Tracing
draft organization and content (I have posted my specific comments
earlier), I have no problems with declaring the draft a working group
document. My understanding is that a "working group document"
declaration means nothing but the intention of the working group to
work on the document together.

Absolutely correct!

        The following names have been suggested:

        "OPES tracing, notification and directives"
        draft-ietf-opes-dirs-trace (Oskar Batuner)

        "Processor-to-end communications in OPES"
        draft-ietf-opes-end

        "OPES processor and end points communications"
        draft-ietf-opes-end

I am not particularly happy with either one; hopefully we can find a
better name. I think there is an agreement that the document will be
about communication among OPES intermediaries (processors) and
application end points (clients and servers), including communication
among OPES intermediaries alone, but excluding callout protocol
specifics. Is the following too general?

        "OPES communications"
        draft-ietf-opes-comm

Or we could use something specific at a risk of being too specific:

        "OPES tracing and bypass"
        draft-ietf-opes-trace

It seems to be a good idea to decide on the name before publishing so
that we do not have to restart versioning if we change the name later.
The current text can remain the same, except for the title, of course.
Or we can add a short paragraph explaining the future direction of the
draft and inclusion of bypass feature.

Valid point, the title should be chosen so that we don't have to change it later on.

The IAB considerations talk about "notification" and mention "bypass". On the list, we had consensus that "tracing" is practially more feasible than a strict notification mechanisms, so the document will have to address those three issues - would "OPES tracing, notification, and bypass" be an approriate title?

Someone else any opinion on the title?

Thanks,
  Markus