Re: Publishing Tracing Draft as WG Document

2003-05-30 08:02:50

Markus,

        While I would like to see significant changes to the Tracing
draft organization and content (I have posted my specific comments
earlier), I have no problems with declaring the draft a working group
document. My understanding is that a "working group document"
declaration means nothing but the intention of the working group to
work on the document together.

        However, I think at least one issue needs to be resolved
before we submit the draft for publication. The current draft focuses
on tracing and the title reflects that. The other related
functionality that we will need to document is bypass. Bypass
documentation will probably be quite short. I suspect there may be
other small things that are not OCP-related but do not fit into
architecture or tracing drafts. This issue has been discussed before
(see April thread titled "set of OPES documents"), and I would like to
reiterate Oskar's suggestion that instead of a dedicated "OPES
Tracing" draft we have a more general draft that covers tracing,
bypass, and perhaps some other similar mechanisms.

        The following names have been suggested:

        "OPES tracing, notification and directives"
        draft-ietf-opes-dirs-trace (Oskar Batuner)

        "Processor-to-end communications in OPES"
        draft-ietf-opes-end

        "OPES processor and end points communications"
        draft-ietf-opes-end

I am not particularly happy with either one; hopefully we can find a
better name. I think there is an agreement that the document will be
about communication among OPES intermediaries (processors) and
application end points (clients and servers), including communication
among OPES intermediaries alone, but excluding callout protocol
specifics. Is the following too general?

        "OPES communications"
        draft-ietf-opes-comm

Or we could use something specific at a risk of being too specific:

        "OPES tracing and bypass"
        draft-ietf-opes-trace

It seems to be a good idea to decide on the name before publishing so
that we do not have to restart versioning if we change the name later.
The current text can remain the same, except for the title, of course.
Or we can add a short paragraph explaining the future direction of the
draft and inclusion of bypass feature.

Thank you,

Alex.