Re: P followup...

2003-12-09 08:17:58

Geetha Manjunath wrote:

I think we should leave this decision of 'what is available' to the
module writer. For example, in the case of HTTP, just knowing the
request header (plus a preview of some data) may be sufficient for major
decisions, however, for SMTP, we may need to look at the complete body
(for example to figure out whether it is a SPAM).

IMHO, spam detection should *not* be implemented in form of a rule, but rather as an OPES service. In the example, there would be a rule that says something like "if email is for Markus, invoke the spam detection application", but the rule itself would *not* try to implement spam detection.

Please let's be careful where to draw the line. My view is that we are *not* chartered to specify a general purpose processing/programming language, but a language for specifying rules that are used to described when certain actions are invoked (as opposed to encoding the action itself inside the rule) - the rules language has a very limited scope, which might be blurry and not always clear, but we should be sensitive about how far we want to go with the rules language.

For my taste, for example, IRML had all the functionality required. We decided to drop IRML in favor of "P" not because of limited functionality, but because of syntax preferences. As such, maybe the functionality provided by IRML can be a guidance on what we need to build into "P" - whenever we feel more flexibility/functionality needs to be build in, we should very carefully discuss this.