Re: P followup...

2003-12-11 07:49:02

What about option 4:

 - Stay within limited scope (use IRML as *guidance*)
 - Dont't worry about interfaces
 - Specify HTTP rules profile
 - Do all this by January
 - Discuss further extensions/modifications in potential re-charter.

-Markus

Alex Rousskov wrote:

Geetha, Chairs,

        We need to do one thing before we can pursue most of the
excellent ideas you have. We must decide what to do with the current P
draft that is [over]due. Most of the stuff we are talking about is
future P work. We need to decide how to deal with our current
liability first.

Here is the relevant milestone from
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/opes-charter.html

        Oct 03  Submit document on rules specification method
                to IESG for Proposed Standard.

I see several options:

        1 Extend the above deadline. This is an admission
          that the WG failed to schedule a deadline
          correctly. This does not require AD/IESG review,
          only WG chair action (AFAIK). This might be
          blocked by an AD, but since we are delivering
          on other deadlines, I think our AD can be
          forgiving.

        2 Submit the current draft now, with minimum changes
          and no additions. IMO, this is an admission that
          the WG failed to produce a quality rule language.
          This requires AD/IESG review which we might pass,
          but more likely not. We would also have hard
          time defending half-baked document.

        3 Trim the current draft so that it does not
          expose known problems and then submit it as
          Proposed Standard and defend it. I doubt it is
          possible because the milestone says "specification
          method" not "rules architecture" or something
          abstract of that kind. Other opinions?

I would suggest that we go with option #1 and carefully pick the new
deadline based on the todo list you are so eager to jump on :-).

Did I miss any options? Is my understanding of IETF procedures correct
here?

Thank you,