Re: Revised ID Needed for draft-ietf-opes-iab-04?

2004-03-31 09:28:38

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Markus Hofmann wrote:

- We need to re-work the notification example given in Section 5.1,
  the comment we received is certainly valid and I'd suggest to use
  a different example.

I suggest the following two examples as a replacement.

   The above concerns call for making notification optional. The OPES
   architecture allows for an efficient and meaningful notification
   protocol to be implemented in certain OPES environments.  For
   example, an OPES callout server attached to a gateway or firewall may
   scan outgoing traffic for signs of worm or virus activity and notify
   a local Intrusion Detection System (IDS) of potentially compromised
   hosts inside the network. Such notifications may use OPES tracing
   information to pinpoint the infected host (which could be another
   OPES entity). In this example, notifications are essentially sent
   back to the content producer (the local network) and use OPES tracing
   to supply details.

   Another environment where efficient and meaningful notification using
   OPES tracing is possible are Content Delivery Networks (CDNs).  A CDN
   node may use multiple content adaptation services to customize
   generic content supplied by the content producer (a web site). For
   example, the node may insert advertisements for client-local events
   or services.  The node itself may not understand specifics of the ad
   insertion algorithm implemented in OPES callout servers.  However, it
   may use OPES trace to notify content producer about the number of
   certain advertisements inserted (i.e., the number of "impressions"
   delivered to the customer) or even the number of ad "clicks" the
   customer made (e.g., if the node hosts content linked from the ads).
   Note that OPES services may not have enough information to contact
   the content producer directly in this case.

I have already updated the latest draft snapshot at
http://www.measurement-factory.com/tmp/opes/ with the above examples
(so that folks can review them in contex), but would be happy to
incorporate whatever example(s) the group decides on, of course.