Re: P-services interface in Strawman OPES Charter

2004-07-13 17:57:48

Alex Rousskov wrote:

We know how poor humans are at writing bug-free code.  I think that
being able to validate much of P code off-line is an essential rule
language feature that we should strive to preserve. Unfortunately,
that seems to require informing the interpreter of service interface,
independent of P code itself.

You start convincing me... Could any of the existing service description languages (WSDL?) be of help? Abbie was suggesting this before I believe...

I see the following options:

(1) Rely on the rules authors to specify the correct parameters
    and don't do any offline checking -> no mechanisms for service
    description needed
(2) Have an OPES specific "service interface description language"
    (maybe similar to function declarations in some programming
    languages?) -> would be part of the rules language (?)
(3) Rely on an existing solution and require OPES services to be
    described in this language -> nothing to do for us other than
    refering to existing solution.

Now, my feeling this that this already goes into discussing the solution, I don't see a need to specify any of this in the re-charter. The proposed charter text seems to cover and allow for this work, so I would assume we're ok in this respect.

P.S. If P programs are "rules", what should we call P programmers?
     Rulers? :-)

Sure, OPES rules :)

-Markus