Re: One Party Consent Model

2004-07-15 07:06:29

At 20:46 14/07/04, Markus Hofmann wrote:
See your point, but the example you outline above violates the OPES tracing requirement, which says that Markus (or B in the generic example) must be able to trace the OPES service. I.e. I would be aware of the OPES service that removed me.

Now, I'm not yet sure how to achieve this and whether this is the full/correct answer...

This is excactly my point and that responds Alex's question over my more general comment (Alex thinks "how". I think "what").
- I am not sure how to achieve this - IMHO this cannot be achieved by an OPES
- is what we say a correct answer ? because we debate within an "end-to-end, dumb network/smart host, protocol on the wire" vision of a network system, which architecturally totally opposes our target of external-change-in-multiple-alternative-routes

This is why I quoted the Judge who had a parallel problem and who gave it a solution I can architecturally accept : considering the mail when temporarily stored at an Agent. There is no difference with HTTP (and Alex there is right): in both cases what we discuss is changing the header and the payload when stored on a host. The particulars of HTTP blurred that debate (my initial discussion) because it permitted to consider the stream as a virtual host. The particulars of "one to interacting many" of mail services do not permit that.

I fully agree with Alex: there will be no drastic change in OCP and P etc. But this will not be OPES and there will be impossible problems of interoperation with the interconnected interapplications - as mentionned above. Authorizations, Error reporting, cancellations, priorities, delays, orders, authentication, application interface, LHS acceptation, security, authoritative domains, relation with the DNS, resends, archiving, inter-OPES operations, server failures, spam, etc.

Just one small question. Let assume a change is conditional to time. What is the time we chose as a reference. The time the mail was entered, the time it was sent, the time it reached each OPES filter, the time it reached every OPES filters, do we take into account the time the first mail or the last mail reached the filter? Let assume a very common case : authority changes at a given time (a different watch, a justice decision, etc.) and also the management rules.

jfc