Re: The 40-bit debate

1997-04-18 21:21:29
Pardon me for being blunt, but from a user's perspective, having a
single protocol with two different profiles is no different from having
two different protocols.

No need for pardon; in fact, I think thanks are in order. This is probably
the most succint statement yet made on the issue. The protocols may have a
high level of overlap, but they don't have interoperability, and are thus
separate.

Yep.  That's the best way to think about it.  Though if the two protocols
share a lot of common code, it's clearly useful for products that
want to implement both protocols.

Keith