RE: Attempt to clear off the open issues

1997-07-24 08:44:27
Aha !!  Sounds like a compelling argument to me.

-s

----------
From:  Laurence Lundblade[SMTP:lgl(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com]
Sent:  Thursday, July 24, 1997 8:27 AM
To:    Paul Hoffman / IMC
Cc:    ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject:       Re: Attempt to clear off the open issues

At 7:15 PM -0700 7/23/97, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

- Make the micalg parameter required, not optional.

[Comment: this is probably a bit controversial, so it is still an
unresolved issue. Please speak up about this if you are an implementor and
you have a good reason to make micalgs required.]

micalg is required by rfc 1847. I think it should be required by S/MIME and
can't think of any reason not to include it.  The excellent reason for
requiring it is that it allows implementors to count on it and thus
simplifies their work.

LL