Re: PKCS #9 Internet Draft??

1997-11-07 17:31:11
Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

At 02:21 PM 11/7/97 -0800, Blake Ramsdell wrote:
On Friday, November 07, 1997 1:24 PM, jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
[SMTP:jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com] wrote:
Please note that many of the OID definitions (such as ContentType,
SigningTime, CounterSignature, and MessageDigest attributes) need to be
added to <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/oids.html>.

If we do this (which I think we should), we should add all of the OIDs
that are listed in section A of the message draft.  Right?

It's up to the group. I certainly don't want anything listed in two places:
that leads to bad mistakes. My own preference is to have everything in the
registry and strip them out of the documents, but I'm no coder, so I can't
say whether or not that would help or hurt implementors.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

If you're going to create ASN.1 modules, it helps ASN.1:1994
implementors
to have them defined in the ASN.1, so they can be used to constrain
types.
Regardless of whether you publish in ASN.1:1990 or 1994, someone is sure
to want to implement smime or a derivative, using equivalent ASN.1:1994
definitions.

Phil
--
Phillip H. Griffin
ASN.1-SET-Java-Security    Griffin Consulting