RE: SigningTime

1997-11-13 16:40:42
On Thursday, November 13, 1997 2:52 PM, Carlisle Adams
[SMTP:carlisle(_dot_)adams(_at_)entrust(_dot_)com] wrote:
I've seen no response to my suggestion that TimeStampToken could be an
additional way to specify signing time for a document (which makes me
wonder if that message actually made it to the list).

In my case I saw this, but I believe that it is solving a different
problem.  We can certainly discuss this more within the context of "how
are we going to solve the problem of trusted time stamps from a
third-party time stamp authority", but I think the concern at hand was
fixing the SigningTime attribute which is the sender's unverified
opinion as to when he sent a message.

As an aside, I think we should talk about this some more because I like
the idea.

I'm not necessarily proposing that this get added to the S/MIME
specification yet (since the time stamp work is still in its early
stages), but this does argue in favor of the CHOICE construct, since
additional choices can then be added in the future without much trouble.

But I think that the TimeStampToken goes into a different attribute, not
the SigningTime attribute.  Is that not the case?  The decision for the
CHOICE for signingTime probably shouldn't affect TimeStampToken.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060