Re: ESS-04 Comments

1998-03-13 18:32:17
Somehow, I just knew that John would be the first one to jump in on the ESS
draft. :-)

IMHO, Paul has done a miraculous job of incorporating the group's comments
into ESS-04.

Hmmm. At the current rate of increase in your superlatives, I believe I
will turn into a diety before this becomes an RFC. At that point, I may
become less interested in these mundane earthly matters.

I agree with all of your requests except the following:

2) Sec 1.2: I agree that the "|" characters delineate the encrypted data
correctly and that the accompanying footnote explains that the encrypted
data is encapsulated in an envelopedData block, but I believe that it is
extremely useful to see the "envelopedData block" text as part of the
"picture" to make it inherently obvious to even the most casual observer.

I disagree. In order to show a "block" you have to show the beginning and
end. That's why I used the characters at the right margin. If we list
"envelopedData block begin" and "envelopedData block end", it will add no
information other than what's in the right margin.

If you think it will be clearer to the most casual observer, I can move the
marks from the right margin to the left margin.

4) Sec 1.2:  Same logic as Comment 2, please change the triple wrapped
message example that uses application/pkcs7-mime for both signatures as
follows:

Same disagreeent as above.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium