Re: ESS-05 comments

1998-05-05 08:34:11
Capt. Theriault:

I have a few comments regarding your questions/proposals:

1) It is not always the case that the originator should be advised of the
MLA withdrawing her request for signed receipts; therefore, I believe that
the ESS text is fine the way that it is.

2) I respecfully disagree with your proposal to add the exemptedAddress
field to MLData.  The MLData sequence is created by the MLA to include info
about the distribution of a message to an ML.  The field that you are
proposing would need to be filled in by the originating user and
communicated to the MLA before it decides to whom to send the message.  I do
not believe that the exemptedAddress requirement should be met by a field in
the CMS signedData security heading.  I believe that if the originator does
not want to send the message to the entire ML, then it is the originator's
responsibility to construct a separate ML including the desired recipients
or to compose a list of the individual recipients (i.e. not use an ML at all).

John Pawling, jsp(_at_)jgvandyke(_dot_)com
J.G. Van Dyke & Associates, Inc.
www.jgvandyke.com